More Canon EOS R5 specs revealed – “the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets”
United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, 20tᵗʰ April 2020 – Canon Inc. takes the unprecedented step to announce more specifications of the EOS R5 – a full frame camera currently in development built on the revolutionary EOS R System. Set to redefine mirrorless, today’s update confirms the incredible recording capabilities of the EOS R5 including internal 8K RAW up to 29.97fps and suitability with high-end production workflows.
Proving Canon is an innovative industry-leader that pushes the realms of optical technological possibilities, the EOS R5 boasts features seen only in high-end cinema cameras many times its price point and video features no other mirrorless camera on the market offers. Created as a direct response to growing demand for content creators to shoot both high-quality film and stills, the EOS R5 holds its own as the lead camera in productions – going over and above industry standards and achieving outstanding 8K.
On the set of high-end productions such as commercials, dramas and documentaries, the EOS R5 is an ideal partner to the likes of Canon’s brand-new EOS C300 Mark III – a next generation modular Cinema EOS System camera launched today. In addition to the EOS R5’s outstanding still photography specifications, which make it ideal for behind the scenes capture, it’s an ideal support filming camera offering:
- 8K RAW – non-cropped, internal recording up to 29.97fps
- Non-cropped, internal recording 8K video capture – up to 29.97fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
- Non-cropped internal recording 4K video capture – up to 119.88fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
- 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ output via HDMI at 4K 59.94fps
- Dual Pixel AF is available in all video modes at all resolutions and frame rates
- 5 axis optical IBIS/ enabling Lens IS and camera IBIS to be combined
- Dual card slots – 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II
Richard Shepherd, Pro Product Marketing Senior Manager, said: “Last month we revealed specs confirming that we have achieved the ‘impossible’ with the EOS R5. Today, we go one step further in showing we are challenging the market and showcasing our unparalleled strength – revealing the camera will offer video recording capabilities unseen in any other mirrorless camera.
“With its ability to record in cinema industry-standard formats and codecs, the EOS R5 is an ideal lead camera for many productions but also, given its compatibility with cinema workflows, the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets.”
Other EOS R5 specifications confirmed by Canon Inc. so far, in the camera’s two previous development announcements (13th February and 13th March 2020) are:
- 8K and 4K modes will support Canon’s renowned Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- The EOS R5 supports advanced animal AF – recognising dogs, cats and birds
- The EOS R5 offers a step-change in performance with an incredible 12fps using the mechanical shutter and the electronic shutter offering 20fps
- The EOS R5 takes Canon’s cutting-edge image stabilisation technology to the next level, by including a newly Canon-developed, in-camera optical image stabilisation system – which works in combination with the lens stabilisation system
- With content delivery just as important as image and video capture, the EOS R5 supports automatic transfer of image files from the device to the image.canon cloud platform