Canon launches new full frame camera and lens line-up as part of the revolutionary, new EOS R system
United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, 5 September 2018 – Canon, world leader in imaging solutions, today builds on its iconic and uncompromising full frame range with the launch of the new EOS R and the first camera with the innovative, new RF Mount. Featuring the fastest autofocus in the world¹ and as the world’s first camera with the ability to focus in light conditions as low as -6EV², it is the perfect tool of choice for professional results with every shot. The all-new RF lens line-up builds on Canon’s optical excellence and heritage, whilst the accompanying accessories offer photographers and filmmakers greater creative and customisation options than ever before.
Built from the ground up, the pioneering EOS R System delivers an entirely new level of innovation, enabling richer, more detailed results, with unparalleled levels of sharpness and detail. EOS R is the first camera to feature the RF lens mount with a 12-pin connection, flange back distance of 20mm and a wide 54mm mount diameter enabling even greater flexibility in lens design.
Through the combination of high-performance RF lenses, a 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor with approximately 30.3 million effective pixels3 and the latest DIGIC 8 image processor, the EOS R enables consistently high-quality imagery. Digital Lens Optimizer, which corrects factors such as lens aberrations, draws on the power of RF lenses to send correction data to the camera body, minimising impact on continuous shooting speed.
Boasting the world’s fastest autofocus – in as little as 0.05 seconds4 - and the ability to seamlessly capture moving subjects fast and accurately, with up to 8fps continuous shooting (fixed AF) and 5fps with AF tracking, EOS R enables consistently confident use. The EOS R has Touch and Drag AF, which enables intuitive selection of the impressive 5,655 selectable AF positions5 - more than any other camera in its class. As the world’s first camera to enable low-light autofocusing down to -6 EV6, the EOS R is optimised for low-light shooting thanks to the advanced Electronic Viewfinder (EVF), with 3.69 million dots, provides 100 percent coverage of the scene, making it possible to see subjects in accurate colour even in near-dark.
The EOS R features completely silent shooting for total discretion in even the most intimate of shooting environments, making it ideal for photojournalists or wedding photographers.
EOS R is a highly accomplished filmmaking tool delivering stunning 4K video footage featuring full audio control, a vari-angle screen and manual focus peaking. Additionally, filmmakers can output in 10-bit over HDMI with Canon Log also enables filmmakers to capture footage in neutral contrast, with up to 12-stops of dynamic range at ISO 400, allowing post-production grading to extract every subtle nuance of colour and detail in shadows and highlights.
Almost every control on the EOS body is customisable, bringing new levels of personalisation and operability to EOS users. The familiar, yet refined, EOS ergonomics and reassuring handling – including the weather-sealed robust magnesium alloy body – allows users to shoot for longer periods, enjoying the comfortable hand grip and intuitive layout. As a first for Canon’s EOS camera series, the EOS R features a customisable multi-function bar, which can be personalised using a slide or touch motion for preferred settings such as ISO. Designed for those on the move, always-on Bluetooth allows a smartphone to be paired with the EOS R and GPS data recorded in images. For additional creative capture, remote shooting via the Canon Camera Connect app offers freedom for flexible shooting.
As a newly introduced feature for all RF lenses, all will feature a customisable Control Ring that users can use to adjust aperture, shutter speed, ISO or exposure compensation – which means there is no need to look away from the subject and risk breaking concentration - as well as intuitive ergonomics for a natural shooting experience.
The RF lens mount enables a radical new optical design – the 20mm flange back and wide 54mm mount diameter has made it possible for Canon engineers to design new lenses that weren’t possible before. With lenses remaining at the foundation of the EOS System – Canon today also launches four new EOS R lenses, which are expanding the possibilities of optical excellence. Setting new standards of quality and speed, the RF 50mm f/1.2L USM is an extremely fast 50mm f/1.2 L-series prime lens – making it the fastest lens in its class - offering extraordinary levels of detail, supreme sharpness, stunning shallow depth of field and remarkable low-light performance. The RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is an L-series zoom lens and the first full frame Canon lens to feature Nano USM - ideal for filmmakers when smooth focusing is a must for natural looking focus transitions, giving superb control and smooth tracking of the subject as it moves away or towards the camera. It is slim and easy to handle, and also features a fixed f/4 aperture. The fast, silent autofocus and 5-stops of image stabilization make it perfect for movie making.
A fast-aperture, versatile, standard zoom lens, the RF 28-70mm f/2L USM offers new levels of creativity as it becomes the world’s first large-aperture full frame compatible standard zoom, offering f/2 brightness throughout the zoom range. Furthermore, the lens barrel has a shock absorbing mechanism that achieves excellent impact resistance for toughness, and durability. Lastly, the RF 35mm f/1.8 MACRO IS STM – a super-fast 35mm f/1.8 macro lens – is ideal for street, travel and close-up photography, offering a naturally wide-angle perspective, close-up focusing and Hybrid IS. The focus, aperture and IS drive system are all integrated into one unit.
Every lens at your fingertip
Three new lens mount adapters allow more than 70 EF and EF-S lenses7 to be used with the innovative EOS R System, adding new functionality to existing optics, while maintaining the excellent levels of performance and functionality previously seen with EOS DSLRs8. The Canon mount adapter adds the control ring found on RF lenses to enable users to maintain their setup whether using RF or EF and EF-S mount lenses. The drop-in filter mount adapter offers the ability to use a range of drop-in filters (drop-in circular polarizing filter or drop-in variable ND filter). Ideal for filmmakers and for use with lenses that are difficult to add filters to, the drop-in variable ND filter density filter controls exposure, whilst the circular polariser reduces reflections and enhances colour saturation – both ideal for capturing stunning imagery that great storytelling demands.
Customise every stage of your imaging journey
The broad range of innovative accessories available for EOS R include a powerful and versatile battery grip and flash. The battery grip, BG-E22, allows two high capacity lithium-ion LP-E6N batteries to be used and offers external battery charging via the USB adapter, providing extended shooting and enhanced handling for the photographer, when used in the vertical position. For creative lighting options, the BG-E22 also features a PC terminal to allow a traditional wired studio flash to be used with EOS R. The Speedlite EL-100 is a compact, lightweight and high-power flash gun with an auto mode which enables communication with compatible cameras, to take the complication out of flash photography. Boasting enough power to light many subjects, whether in dark indoor conditions or outside in the sunshine, shooting possibilities are expanded with the ability to bounce flash off walls and ceilings for a softer look – just like natural light.
Digital Photo Professional Express (DPP Express)
Enabling you to make the most of your images, and expanding the RAW development workflow for photographers, Canon today also launches the Digital Photo Professional Express (DPP Express)9, for iPad®10. Intuitive and easy-to-use, DPP Express is a high-performance RAW image processing, viewing and editing software for use with both EOS and EOS R cameras. Images can be imported via Camera Connect and can be edited directly through the iPad® app, from white balance adjustment and fine-tuning of tone curve characteristics to dynamic-range adjustment.
DPP Express RAW image software can display still images using PQ (Perceptual Quantization)11, a HDR format targeting movie production and distribution. The software makes possible the editing and display of high-quality images with a wide dynamic range.
Input to output offering
Today, Canon strengthens its input to output offering, with a new print software solution. Using the new print software Professional Print & Layout, high-quality images editing using Digital Photo Professional can be printed while maintaining important qualities such as tonality, sharpness and accurate colour reproduction. Included within the software is the new DPRAW print function, which enables printing in high definition. This function has the ability to process depth map information from DPRAW files, allowing between reproduction of sharp details and textures as the photographer intended. This gives a sense of three dimensionality to prints.
Also included is the new HDR print function, which allows highlight areas of an image to be reproduced strongly in print. What’s more, using the Exhibition Lighting Optimisation function, prints can be output to achieve be output to achieve an expanded dynamic range, when combined with bright lighting conditions for galleries and exhibitions.
Centred on the EOS R System, Canon has built a range of tools based on the requirements of the photographers and filmmakers of the future, whilst expanding the boundaries of imaging – the EOS R, new RF lenses and accessories offer more creative freedom and possibilities than ever before, for exciting new photographic journeys. The new EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM – an innovative 32mm lens for the EOS M System – and the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM and EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM, two revolutionary, lightweight professional super telephoto lenses, ensure that all photographers and filmmakers have access to the best tools possible to tell their stories.
- Greater levels of optical performance, lens design possibilities and creative flexibility
- Enhanced communication and power transmission between the lens and camera body
- Importantly full compatibility with existing EF and EF-S lenses and accessories
- Low light capabilities
- Through the combination of high-performance RF lenses, a 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor with approximately 30.3 million effective pixel3 and the latest DIGIC 8 image processor
- -6 EV low light AF – the world’s first camera to focus in such low light conditions
- The world’s fastest autofocus – 0.05 seconds
- Digital Lens Optimizer
- Touch and Drag AF – 5,655 selectable AF positions
- Silent shooting
- 4K video delivery with output in 10-bit over HDMI
- Standard lens which has super bright, highest image quality by using benefit of EOS R system
- Fast and precise optical performance
- Legendary L-series image quality and durability
- Built for everyday professional use
- A general purpose, practical, professional zoom
- Steady, handheld professional performance
- 5-stops of image stabilisation
- Fast, smooth, quiet Nano USM focusing brining ideal attributes for photos and video
- Legendary L-series image quality for outstanding detail, depth and sharpness
- World’s first large-aperture full frame compatible standard zoom, offering f/2 brightness throughout the zoom range
- Redefines what you expect from a standard zoom lens
- Smooth, near-silent autofocusing, with Canon’s USM technology
- Smart controls and intuitive ergonomics for a natural shooting experience
- Legendary Canon L-Series pedigree inspires confidence
- Superb image quality and a natural wide-angle lens with compact size
- Great in low light, helping you capture ambience even in dark conditions
- Get close to capture fine details at half life-size macro magnifications with 5-stops of image stabilisation
- Travel light, shoot more instinctively and with more creativity
- Use existing EF and EF-S mount lenses on the Canon EOS R camera
- Change camera settings with a Lens Control Ring (control ring mount adapter only)
- Use drop-in optical filters (drop-in filer mount adapter only) – either drop-in circular polarizing filter or drop-in variable ND filter
- Built for professional use
Battery Grip BG-E22 Key Features
- Shoot with EOS R for longer periods
- Superb handling when used in the vertical position
- Lightweight – 330g
- PC terminal for syncing external studio flash
- Easy route into flash photography
- Create natural light by using bounce flash
- Learn to get more creative with lighting
- Part of the EOS family of camera and lenses
Digital Photo Professional (DPP) Express
- New RAW format - CR3 compatible
- Intuitive and easy to use UI/UX with touch operation
- Multiple editing histories in one image
- Display still images using PQ (Perceptual Quantization), a HDR format targeting movie production and distribution
- For iPad®
- Collaboration with Camera Connect application
Professional Print & Layout
- Recreate the world as you see it with your eyes
- Accurate colour reproduction
- Sharpness in the detail
- Clear tonality in the highlights and the shadows
Pricing and Availability
The EOS R is available to pre-order from 12th September 2018 and available to purchase from 9th October 2018 with the following RSPs:
- EOS R body and mount adapter - £2,349.99/ €2,729.99
- EOS R body, mount adapter and RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens - £3,269.99/ €3,819.99
- RF 50mm f/1.2L USM lens - £2,349.99/ €2,729.99
- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens - £1,119.99/ €1,319.99
- Mount adapter EF-EOS R - £99.99/ €119.99
- Control mount ring adapter EF-EOS R - £199.99/ €239.99
Available to purchase from December 2018 with the following RSPs:
- RF 28-70mm f/2L USM lens - £3,049.99/ €3,549.99
- RF 35mm f/1.8 MACRO IS STM lens - £519.99/ €599.99
1 Correct at launch (5th September 2018) and based on testing of available full frame mirrorless cameras
2 In small area 1pt AF mode
3 31.7 million pixels
4 When using high-speed continuous shooting settings
5 As of 5th September 2018, measured using CIPA-compliant guidelines, and internal measurement method with the RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens at 24mm setting and AF set to one-shot AF
6 Among all the interchangeable lens digital cameras incorporating the 35mm full frame equivalent image sensor with phase-difference detection AF on the image plane. As of September 4th, 2018 (researched by Canon). According to the Canon standard. (During still photo shooting, f/1.2, Center AF point, One-Shot AF, at 23°C/73°F, ISO100
7 Depending on camera specifications, some EF lens functions may not be usable
8 Does not include EF-M lenses or EF Cinema lenses in the EF lens series. EOS R lenses do not require a lens adapter
9 Compatible with camera which is compatible with CR3 Raw format. Available for download from late October 2018
10 iPad Pro all model/iPad(5th) /mini4/Air2 (iPad with installed RAM capacity 2 GB or more. The first generation of iPad mini2/mini3/Air is installable but not supported. Cannot install earlier above iPad and iPhone / iPod touch – not available on Android
11 PQ (Perceptual Quantization) is a new gamma curve based on the characteristics of human vision. Based on the international HDR standards ITU-R BT.2100 and SMPTE ST 2084